Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What I Think About Grammar


Grammar, or rather, my understanding of grammar, is as elusive as a hummingbird. It flits in and out of my vision much the same as this gentle creature flits from petal to petal. Like the hummingbird, grammar means well. The hummingbird is doing a great service for flowers everywhere, much the same as bees do. Yet grammar, like the bee, can sting you when you least expect it, and like the hummingbird, you have no idea where it is, when it will show up next or why it works well in some places and doesn't in others.

I confess that I remember nearly nothing about grammar from grade or high school. I vaguely remember a small English book we all carried in senior year. It was red, it fit in my purse and it had sentence diagrams in it. OK, I guess I remember "subject" and "predicate". The visuals were very helpful for me with my own writing at the time. Yet beyond sentence structure, I don't think I ever read a single page in that little book. I definitely remember playing poker in study hall, rather than reading or writing. I'd write my essay about five minutes before class and I just wrote what the teacher asked for. I got good grades so I never thought much about it.

Flash forward to today and my aspirations to be an English teacher and I still can't tell you anything about grammar. I know what good grammar looks like, but I'm sitting in the middle of it. I literally cannot see the forest for the trees. I know it exists, I know what it looks like, but explaining how to make it is as foreign to me as astrophysics or hummingbird flight patterns. My hope is that, as I begin to tutor, it won't sneak up on me like a hive of angry bees and sting me into a coma.

3 comments:

  1. I don't even remember "predicate."

    This was a very useful and interesting post to read. You speak well of a problem I also face. I write well, so I don't think about grammar. How, then, to explain it without getting myself and my tutees lost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. case in point -- you don't need to know what grammar is to write well, but if your writing is "off," bring in the grammar instruction (which doesn't seem to help at the end of the day -- just brings in more confusion) ! makes me wonder if teaching grammar is the key to writing well? You do not need to know what a dangling modifier is unless it is a problem, much like cancer. Happy, benign neglect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Danielle. And I'm learning from reading the Krauthammer article that there is a very fuzzy line between a SLIP and an inverse SLIP, and some historical grammar issues have been cast aside like worn out parts, no longer needed. The machine of written thought purrs along just fine.

    ReplyDelete