Thursday, February 21, 2013

How I Work With Tutees and Grammar -- What I've Learned So Far

  • Have students read the sentence, passage or paragraph out loud..
    • They will often spot the error themselves when they read aloud.
  • For subject/verb agreement that involves a person, I often ask the student, "Who is doing what?"
  • Have students circle noun/verb pairs.
    • Have students talk about how each works.
  • Have students rewrite a problematic sentence on a sheet of paper, talking through the words as they write them.
  • Ask students to tell me the difference between one and many when there is an error with amounts.
  • Ask students why they chose a specific word.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I often ask the question,"who is doing what to whom?" The allows the student to slow down, and thus make informed choices at the sentence level!

    ReplyDelete